808-889-0101 REGISTER
Business Phone
Go to Order Page
K-1 Fiancée Visa Process

March 6, 2019BY CbVisa

The K-1 Fiancée Visa Process

The K-1 Fiancée Visa process can range from being somewhat mild to a very labor intensive process depending on many different variables. These variables depend on the history of the petitioner and the beneficiary. Before we go into those specifics, it is best that you know whether you can petition someone first.

First you must be eligible to petition 

  • You must be a U.S. citizen
  • You and your fiancée intend to get married within 90 days of them being admitted in the US.
  • Both you and your fiancée are BOTH legally able to marry in the US.
  • Any previous marriages have been legally terminated by divorce, death or annulment.
  • You and your fiancée have met each other in person at least once within 2 years before you file the K-1 visa petition.
  • *You can request a waiver of this if you can show that meeting in person would either violate strict customs of your fiancée’s culture or result in an extreme hardship to you the petitioner.

The Process

The K-1 Visa process is what results in you being able to bring your loved one to the US involving USCIS, The Department Of State, and US Customs and Border Protection. Security and background checks may be conducted on both parties. The checks are done using fingerprints, names, or other biographic or biometric info.

Step 1

You file the form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancée ) – currently a 13 page form. This is a request that USCIS recognizes the relationship between you and your fiancée.

USCIS reviews the form and supporting documents. They then might mail a RFE or a “request for evidence." This means that more information is needed.

Once eligibility is established, USCIS approves the form and it is sent to The Department of State National Visa Center (NVC).

Step 2

The National Visa Center will forward the approved I-129F to the US embassy or consulate in the country where your fiancée will apply for a K-1 non-immigrant visa.

They will schedule an interview with your fiancée and will notify you.

Your fiancée will apply and bring the required forms and documents to the visa interview.

The officer of the consulate will then determine whether your fiancée qualifies for the K-1 visa. If the visa is granted, it is valid up to 6 months for a single entry to the US. If for some reason it is not approved you may decide to file a new petition.

For additional information visit this page.

Step 3

Once the DOS grants a K-1 visa, your fiancée travels to the US and will seek admission at the port of entry during the time that the visa is valid.  You should keep in mind that a Customs and Border Protection officer will decide about whether to admit your fiancée.

Step 4

The marriage! You have 90 days to marry each other.

Step 5

Adjustment of Status (Green Card)

Once you are married your spouse can then apply for a green card using form I-485.

Cherry Blossoms Visa has been preparing and helping couples process K-1 fiancée visas for over 40 years! We have a 100% success rate with every honestly submitted application.  We help you prepare everything right the first time and just the way USCIS wants to see it done.